Re: DigitalConvergence.com: Look out mouse, here comes the cat...

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 01:01:14 PDT

Adam L. Beberg writes:

> But seriously, most database content worth the high costs of hosting is
> owned by someone that doesn't want the spiders getting at it and
> mirroring out in public like say... google. I don't see that changing
> anytime soon.

I'm not in the industry, is this true for every database-backed
website? Clearly eBay doesn't want their stuff indexed, and most
people would want to hide things from pricewatch.com.

> Are people really THAT lazy they can't type a URL? People will carry

Type this:

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/a3807c5b4823c53f85256561006324be/09be06584e750880852566ba00563f34?OpenDocument

I do balk at typing in URIs indexed by their cryptohashes, or whatever
that hex thing is. I mostly cut & paste, or let the mailer send the
URI string to the browser.

> around another mouse sized gizmo with their laptops? Was this the plan
> behind the insane plan for the new 63 character domain names all
> along? hmmm.... i smell fish... flip, flop, a flippity bippity flop.

That mouse thing is silly, a normal PDA would do.