The future of spam?

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 09:27:34 PDT

Argh! I recently put my mobile phone number on my Web pages.
Last night I was greeted by my first ever SMS spam message:

  +33685000054
  31/08/00 23:07
  andre.goldenstei
  n@aral.net. New
  mobile number
  +49 174 9200555.
  To be removed
  from this list
  read bottom of
  message Dear
  Sirs, I would
  like to offer
  you...

Luckily the spam was cut short, but I know the gist of it because I
keep getting the same one via email. At the moment I have 12 copies
in my inbox: a company called "Aral Mobilfunk Partner KMT GmbH" is
trying to sell me... a mobile phone! Doh!

Keep on keeping on,
  Rob.

ObCryptoAngle: GSM phones don't encrypt text messages at all - they go
               out in clear over the air (just in case any FoRKers
               were planning on planning criminal activity via SMS...)

     .-. .-.
             `-' Robert.Harley@inria.fr `-'