RE: Survey on the evolution of RSS

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 10:41:43 PDT

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, S. Mike Dierken wrote:

> This sort of 'architectural form' approach works pretty well, I've used it
> in the past to output RDBMS records and provide field level meta-data (type,
> name, etc.) and at the same provide simple HTML. By making it well formed,
> all sorts of low-cost automation is also possible.
>
> By using 'class=', you can also do some cool 'transforms' on existing
> browsers via CSS.
>
> Perhaps an literal example of RSS expressed with HTML tags and 'class='
> attributes would help.

Evic van der VList and myself prototyped something at
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2000/08/hss/sw.html a week or two
ago. Really to get across the basic idea.

Dan Connolly's got an alternative (but similar) approach, also using
XSLT. Details at http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/# (or view-src on
http://www.w3.org/). There's a www form so you could transform his
CLASS'd HTML into any flavour of RSS etc by writing a different XSLT...

Both use a networked XSLT service to do the
transformation(s). Aside: are there any security issues
w.r.t. 'untrusted' XSLT content being loaded from the network?

Dan