RE: Huge drivespace Re: computing budgeting (fwd)

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 08:02:46 PDT

> Does anyone think that in the near future, the coming of multi-terabyte
> cheap hard drives will lead to any new business models? Will shipping
> hard drives full of data to people replace the Internet because last mile
> bandwidth may not keep up? I'm thinking by 2004? What would you do with
> 10TB 3.5" drives that cost $500 each?

Well Quantum has a 120GB Snap server for $2995 or so... so there's a small
sign of the times. The end game is when the data is more valuable than the
disk space, as you note. I can imagine a version of the Snap with very
interesting licensing capabilities... much more convenient than online
licensing, especially if it automatically updates itself.