Re: Huge drivespace Re: computing budgeting (fwd)

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 11:16:43 PDT

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:

--]All of those transitions, essentially, were incremental. We're talking about
--]*huge* discontinuity here --- 3x as big as the ENTIRE discontinuity between
--]1980 and today, happening in a compressed period of the next year or so. Try
--]to imagine it this way: what in the world would you have done in, say, 1982,
--]with DSL, a 386 box or Mac, and the apps / services that existed then? The
--]"stuff" just wouldn't exist to really utilize that capacity in any interesting
--]way.
--]

I agree with you. It will take my poor amd box by storm. I will not be
able to push it as hard as it it can... for a while.

Im of a mind though that the time frame where this bwf will be utilzed
will be shorter than ya think.

I think of it this way.

in 1980 I had a horse and buggy and th whole of the americas to explore

in the late 80's to mid 90;s I had a piper cub to explore the world with

in the late 90s and the begining of the 00's I have a space shuttle
(the sst tomwhore)and a slightly bigger world to exploer.

Soon I will have a whole solar system to explore witht hat same space
shuttle. Surfice it to say it will take me forever to get to pluto, but by
gum I will ..Mean while they are working on the USS Tomwhore 1723A that
has the prototype warp drivein it.

I think the 1723a is gonna be here sooner than you think it will be.
Hopefully Im right, but if im not IM still gonna have a blast kicking
around wiht the SST tomwhore

goofy analogy, but thats what you get before Ive had lunch.

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org