KUTGW!

Rohit Khare (khare@w3.org)
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 20:30:23 -0400 (EDT)

You know, I'm not necessarily a prime specimen of virile manhood or anything, but I do consistently work out 3 to 4 days a week. The trick for me was realizing that things always come up in the afternoons and evenings, and that I would only reach consistency if I worked out in the mornings. Thus, I wake up at 5:15 AM, work out for an hour until 6:30, shower at the gym, and walk upstairs to work around 7 AM. Now, even I find this schedule kind of obnoxious, but I believe that one of the most important elements to affecting change is to get into the life habits you want to have for the rest of your life.

Have you thought of hiring a trainer twice a week (at about $50 an hour), and trying a consistent work out schedule for 3 months or so? Some low-impact aerobic activity (bicycle, stairmaster) would be a great start. And the right trainer can be a huge motivational aid (I hear).

- dan

P.S. BTW, I'm not one of those endorphin freaks you read about who gets off on working out. In fact, I think I'm constitutionally endorphin-deprived. I had this realization on the stairmaster last month at about 5:45 AM. I realized that I was not at all enjoying myself, and in fact that at that moment I really only wanted to be sleeping. Moreover, I realized that I wasn't working out because I care how my body looks or because I was interested in the long-term health benefits. No, I was on that stairmaster solely to impress women.

Petty? Perhaps. But it's nice to remember when my alarm sounds at 5:15 that I have millions of years of evolution pushing to get me up.