Re: Love is the drug. What is the disease?

Kristin Buxton (kbuxton@aracnet.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:27:20 -0700

On Wed, Aug 13, 1997 at 05:06:57PM -0700, I Find Karma wrote:

> > Most of us are still not sure what we want to be when we grow up.
>
> I know EXACTLY what I want to be when I grow up. The fact that I choose
> to act like a clueless simpleton is just a distraction. A distraction I
> will return to after this paragraph. But mark my words, anyone who just
> sort of drifts through life with no clear idea of where s/he's going, is
> a fool wasting the precious finite gift of time allotted to him/her.
> YOU MUST NOT LIVE YOUR LIFE BY DEFAULT.

I'd have to disagree with this. I only have vague ideas "what I want to be
when I grow up." I don't consider myself a fool (well at least not usually)
because of this. There's a difference between not having a clear idea and
living "by default" as you put it. "By default" to me implies having other
people make the decisions for you (ie, the people who go to med school only
because their parents tell them to, etc)

One way to look at it: The people who KNOW where they're going are drivers on
an interstate, driving from point A to point B. Some of the people who aren't
as certain may also eventually get from point A to point B but take a
combination of the interstate, state highways, city streets, and maybe a train
or bus in there somewhere. Sure, they won't get to point B as fast, but they
might see a lot of interesting things on the way.

--
kristin buxton            | "He had that rare weird electricity about him --
kbuxton@aracnet.com       | that extremely wild and heavy presence that you