Avant-Pop [ was: RE: Postpostmodernism: sometimes sampling can go

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:42:21 -0700

Speaking of postmodernism... Is this FoRK's charter, or what?

"In an Information Age where we all suffer from Information Sickness and
Overload, the only cure is a highly-potent, creatively-filtered tonic of
(yes) textual residue spilled from the depths of our spiritual
unconscious. Creating a work of art will depend more and more on the
ability of the artist to select, organize and present the bits of raw
data we have at our disposal."

http://www.busim.ee.boun.edu.tr/~akyuz/avant.pop.manifesto.html

AVANT-POP MANIFESTO:

THREAD BARING ITSELF IN TEN QUICK POSTS

By Mark Amerika

1. Now that Postmodernism is dead and we're in the process of
finally burying it, something else is starting to take hold in the
cultural imagination and I propose that we call this new phenomenon
Avant-Pop.

2. Whereas it's true that certain strains of Postmodernism,
Modernism, Structuralism and Post-Structuralism, Surrealism, Dadaism,
Futurism, Capitalism and even Marxism pervade the new sensibility, the
major difference is that the artists who create Avant-Pop art are the
Children of Mass Media (even more than being the children of their
parents who have much less influence over them). Most of the early
practitioners of Postmodernism, who came into active adult consciousness
in the fifties, sixties and early seventies, tried desperately to keep
themselves away from the forefront of the newly powerful Mediagenic
Reality that was rapidly becoming the place where most of our social
exchange was taking place. Despite its early insistence on remaining
caught up in the academic and elitist art world's presuppositions of
self- institutionalization and incestuality, Postmodernism found itself
overtaken by the popular media engine that eventually killed it and from
its remains Avant-Pop is now born.

[...]

8. Postmodernism changed the way we read texts. The main tenet of
Postmodernism was: I, whoever that is, will put together these bits of
data and form a Text while you, whoever that is, will produce your own
meaning based off what you bring to the Text. The future of Avant-Pop
writing will take this even one step further. The main tenet that will
evolve for the Avant-Pop movement is: I, whoever that is, am always
interacting with data created by the Collective You, whoever that is,
and by interacting with and supplementing the Collective You, will find
meaning.

In an Information Age where we all suffer from Information
Sickness and Overload, the only cure is a highly-potent,
creatively-filtered tonic of (yes) textual residue spilled from the
depths of our spiritual unconscious. Creating a work of art will depend
more and more on the ability of the artist to select, organize and
present the bits of raw data we have at our disposal. We all know
originality is dead and that our contaminated virtual realities are
always already readymade and ready for consumption! In a nod to
Duchamp's Armory Show scandal, the questions we need to ask ourselves
are

1. who are we sharing the cultural-toilet with and
2. what are we filling it up with?

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (650)
588-4801
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do
not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.