Samples & Steve Jobs.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:03:45 -0700 (PDT)

tbyars@earthlink.net writes:
> no, you missed my point completely. I said I liked the way they did it and
> thought that was clever. What I said was, the problem with sampling is that
> it takes a carbon copy of something and places it somewhere else. And that
> you might have memories, or emotions tied to the original that are
> corrupted by the remake.
>
> THAT was my point in brief.

Oh, okay. I see.

See, this gets back to why I want to remove old and wrong bits from the
past. Sure pickling every bit whether old or wrong makes for a good
"bit scrapbook." But leaving all the bits "out there", so that every
time someone visits the moments from my past where I'm a complete moron,
is bad, because it's evocative in the wrong way: it evokes bad memories
tied to those original bits. Memories should be allowed to exist free
from association... (gosh, I can feel the avalanche of criticism
fomenting... :). Otherwise, whenever someone drudges up those old bits
(or as Tim points out, any time anyone drudges up anything *evocative* of
those old bits), we the Pavlovian slobbering fools that we are, associate
those bits instantly with certain memories. I, for one, could do with
less drooling in my life.

In an unrelated note, someone here was askin' me about Steve Jobs
biographies, but I forget who. Anyway, Rohit recommends two:

1. Steve Jobs: The Journey Is the Reward by Jeffrey S. Young.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0673188647/forkrecommendedrA/

2. Steve Jobs and the Next Big Thing by Randall E. Stross.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0689121350/forkrecommendedrA/

Either/both are classified as "hard to find" by Amazon, which makes me
wonder if Jobs bought up all the spare copies to perpetuate his reality
distortion field.

Anyway, I linked to both from the FoRK Recommended Books list...

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/fork-books.html

Also, Apple Employee #12 says "Say hello to FoRK." Okay. Hello, FoRK.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

I kind of like the idea of a universal Hansard. Every nuance, every bit,
right or wrong, spoken in passion or from reason, drunk or sober,
trapped. Caught. Frozen. Pickled. Searchable. Archivable. Part of the
historical record. Your corrections can come later. And they'll get
trapped and pickled too. But I think having the original verbatim of
everything is a neat and useful thing. Damned dangerous too, I admit,
but hey, so's driving at 85mph, right?
-- Ron Resnick

[Ed: Driving at 85mph with Rohit would be a *luxury*. Luckily, most
modern cars kick the engine off automatically at 107mph... :]