Well now the folks working on MAME are taking it to the next step.
Networked.. thats right. imagine playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with
4 other folks over the net, or an old style one on one of Joust, or a
round robin of defenders or q*bert or etc etc etc
For more info check out http://members.tripod.com/~adcockm/ or hit
www.davesclassics.com for all your emu news needs.
--some of the details-----------------------------
MAMEnet is an attempt to add network play
Our goals are:
1) Allow any number of machines to connect and ensure their
emulations are synchronized. This includes
keeping the emulated machine in sync and sharing all inputs
received from players.
2) Keep the code portable and well organized, so that new
platform support can be added easily.
3) Provide an easy to use interface.
4) Integrate our network code with the baseline MAME
distribution and port it to all supported
5) NEVER make changes to specific game drivers. This will
allow new MAME game drivers to work
with network support automatically.