Re: Liars, damned liars, and statisticians.

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:19:08 -0400 (EDT)

Ron Resnick writes:
> Incidentally, Haig was also an official - forget which post-
> during the Nixon administration, though he managed to stay
> clear of any Watergate stains.

Chief of staff. He is widely suspected of having been the
still-unnamed source for the Woodward & Bernstein stories on
Watergate, known as Deep Throat, though this has been specifically
denied by Woodward, Bernstein, Haig, and Ben Bradlee (Woodward and
Bernsteins' boss at the Washington Post, who has supposedly heard the
name of Deep Throat).

Haig is also a former CinC of NATO, and a high level member of
Pentagon staff (where one of the Post reporters --- Woodward, I think
--- routinely gave him briefings as a low level staffer in the late
'60s, which has only added to the suspicions).

[ BTW, I'm not totally convinced of the attribution of "Deep Throat"
to Haig --- my favorite dark horse candidate is Henry Kissinger,
who personally instigated a lot of wiretaps, and whose bellyaching
was, IIRC, directly responsible for the organization of the
"plumbers" unit which was responsible for the wiretaps and other
miscellaneous dirty tricks. He was hip-deep in all of this, as
you can read in the Walter Isaacson biography, and yet he is not
popularly associated with the Watergate scandals at all. It's
almost as if his involvement was written out of the history books
--- and remember, the newspapers are the first draft of history.

But, this is just idle speculation on my part. I haven't even
bothered to see how the dates of the supposed interviews with
Deep Throat match up with Kissinger's manic travel schedule. ]

rst