Re: Customized Colour Schemes

Joachim Feise (jfeise@ICS.uci.edu)
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 22:10:06 -0700

Tim Byars wrote:

> At 8:29 PM -0700 8/22/98, Joe Barrera came up with this:
>
> > The information is stored in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
> > Panel\Appearance. You can save this info in a file by running regedit, going
> > to the key, and doing File|Export Registry File. Just running this file on
> > another machine will then overwrite the color schemes with the ones you
> > saved from the first machine.
> >
> > According to http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q137/7/25.asp
> > there are some higher level automatic config tools on the win95 CD itself,
> > and there's also the win95 resource kit with a bunch of stuff on it.
>
> Oh how fuckin' modern! Nothing slips by you guys does it?

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1562055569/qid=903848710/sr=1-2/002-5767371-9220412):
"Why have a book about the registry? The simplistic answer is because one is
needed. Microsoft's technical support line does not answer questions that
pertain to the registry. They claim that users should not attempt to modify the
registry in any way because it can possibly corrupt their machine."
I actually killed a Win95 system once because I accidentally deleted the wrong
key. Everything you do in regedit is final! There is no undo.
Talk about user friendliness...

-JoeF