Re: Internet causes loneliness

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:52:27 -0400

At 11:38 AM 8/30/98 -0700, Mike Masnick wrote:
>A two-year, $1.5-million study by researchers at Carnegie Mellon
>funded by the National Science Foundation and major technology companies,
>has concluded that Internet use appears to cause a decline in psychological

>clear how the findings apply to the general population, but a RAND
>Corporation senior scientist says, "They did an extremely careful
>scientific study, and it's not a result that's easily ignored." (New York
>Times 30 Aug 98)

CMU is also the place where the Rimm "Porn is Everywhere" study was done and
was the basis of Time's Net Porn coverage. Also, I haven't seen it myself,
but the little blurbs do nothing to assure the reader they are not fallying
prey to a common causal fallacy. (The Net may not cause loneliness, rather
people that are already lonely may turn to the Net.) Haven't seen the full
report myself though...

Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
independent research account