Re: guns (Re: Cell phones of death!)

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 10:58:59 PST

I've not trimmed this thing (except for sigs) because I think Bill's
points need to be reiterated.

Australia's violent crime rate is up more than 40% in some areas since
guns were made illegal there.

In the US, violent crimes have dropped more than 50% in Richmond VA and
Rochester NY since "experimental" programs to actually enforce existing
federal firearms laws have been in operation. The US has more firearms
laws than any other country, but chooses not to enforce them. In Texas
and Virginia, violent crime is down 15-25% since relaxed requirements
for obtaining concealed carry permits (still requiring a criminal
background check by state or county officials) were passed. It seems
criminals show more caution when they're not sure who's armed and who's
not. What's the violent crime rate in Wyoming? 8^)

Britain had a mass murder from a flamethrower wielding individual while
they were in the process of banning firearms (this time) but did not
make welding torches illegal as well.

Before WW II Britain had very strict firearms ownership laws that
precluded most citizens from owning firearms. Sometime shortly before
Lend Lease got going, Britain was appealing to US gun owners to donate
their weapons, at the time assuming Germany would launch an amphibious
invasion. Ask your grandparents, you whippersnappers. My dad told me
about this one.

Guns intelligently stored do not kill children, same with cars
intelligently operated. Either thing used, handled, maintained, or
stored stupidly kills, and that's the real point of this comparison.
There are twice as many firearms as cars in the US, BTW.

The vast majority of crimes *prevented* by firearms owners involve
display of the gun only, not the use of it. This is an ever-ignored fact
in the debate.

The largest school murder in US history came in the first half of the
twentieth century when a madman dynamited a school in Michigan. This
made US news for about ten seconds during the recent Columbine
shootings.

--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko