RE: guns (Re: Cell phones of death!)

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 15:04:56 PST

fyi, Lott's main study is available at:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLS/lott.pdf

He seems to look at FBI Uniform Crime Reports nationally, by county, in a
period before and after some states liberalized concealed weapons laws.

I do think county-by-county is a better approach for such studies than
state-by-state. States are strange and mostly-arbitrary amalgamations of
subpopulations. Take Nevada, where I would bet a large number of ranchers
have guns for self-protection, controlling wildlife, etc. But then you
have Las Vegas, which helps make Nevada the 10th state in violent
crime.[1] Data by counties would let you see the different populations.

So I went to www.fbi.gov looking for Uniform Crime Reports by county, and
they're not on the site. Only the summary reports are available there.
I looked for a webmaster address so I could request that data, but I
couldn't find a single email address on the whole site. I don't think
there's even a feedback form, just snail mail addresses. Disappointing.

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle

[1] U.S. Census data:
States ranked by violent crime:
  1997: http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank11.txt
States ranked by percentage of population living in metro areas:
  1996: http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank02.txt