legalizing Operation SunDevil: HR46 remoras onto "medal of valor" bill

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 00:04:05 PST

Looks like the Boys on the Hill are thinking of slippin' in another
one while the country's still all "relaxed" from the recent bout of
"public service". :-(

This would be a good time to make some phone calls, send a few faxes,
etc if you're so inclined.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled FoRKfEsT...

Tx,
_SRC

PS- If you don't know what Operation SunDevil was, you ARE a net newbie.

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata@virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** ISP/ASP Systems Integration, Architecture, & Project Management **

attached mail follows:

Greetings,

I do not normally do this. But, this one twisted my nerves too much. For those of you not in the US have a good laugh or cry over this as you see fit (or just delete it, sorry for wasting the bandwidth). On December 15th H.R.46.EAS "Passed Senate with an amendment by Unanimous Consent".

Why is this important? Well some Senators have added two amendments as riders onto this bill. The extra two titles are:

TITLE II--COMPUTER CRIME ENFORCEMENT TITLE III--INTERNET SECURITY

These extra riders were added on October 24, 2000, by the Senate. The riders are almost word for word from the never passed H.R.2448. According to the Senate records only the Medal of Valor portion of this bill was discussed.

A detailed (but some what paranoid) discussion of all the possible implications of this can be found at:

http://cryptome.org/hr46.htm

After reviewing the actual bill I agree with most of the analysis. In short it does appear to: expand federal asset forfeiture, provide special additional punishments for people who use encryption to disguise criminal acts, federalize some juvenile crimes.

I am not asking you to go one way or the other. Just thought you might like to know. If you support this bill and/or method of slipping it in (or not) now is a good time to contact your government representatives.

You can find the bill easily at by going to "http://www.congress.gov/". Then type in "medal of valor" in the appropriate search box and you'll get 5 different versions of this bill at the top of the list. The most current version is the one making its way around right now (check the status).

Cheers, Scottie

// Scottie Swenson Box 357730 // Director of Systems R&D Seattle, Washington 98195-7730 // Cellworks Project, UW phone:206.616.7233 fax:206.732.6033 // mailto:swenson@u.washington.edu http://cellworks.washington.edu/ // PGP pub key: // 1024/BA5B94ED 1995/07/20 Scottie M. Swenson <swenson@u.washington.edu> // Key fingerprint: // 73 37 95 1B DB A3 9F 10 D1 BE 21 BC FB EC 01 63