Re: Iraq smuggling Playstation 2

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 07:23:45 PST

Jay Thomas wrote:
>Yeah, I know, more ramblings from the tin-foil hat brigades.

Healthy skepticism from The Register:

Iraq buys 4000 PlayStation 2s in world conquest bid

[...] Some 4000 consoles have made their way to Iraq, those agencies reckon.

And that, says the report, is depriving American kiddies of their requested
Christmas prezzies, poor dears.

[...] one unnamed military intelligence source told WND. [...]

Unnamed military source? 'Sony marketing mouth' would be a better description.

[...] This sounds almost as bad as the scare stories from the early 1980s
of Sinclair ZX-81s being nabbed by the Soviet military so for their Z-80a
CPUs - handy for controlling ICBMs, we were told.

That story proved to be nothing but Cold War paranoia and survivalist
jack-off material, and that's pretty much what the WND report appears to be.

[...]

Whole story at: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/15584.html

Rob.
    .-. .-.