RE: Network World: IMPPlosion

From: Mark Day (markday@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 10:30:40 PST

> --]> The best thing to do, imnsfho, is to build a better protocol
> (fuck the
> --]> commities and standards etc) and get thier user base hooked
> on it like
> --]> little poser goth kids on heroin.
> --]
> --]Even by FoRK standards, this is a pretty silly idea. We already have
> --]multiple competing proposals with "hooked" user communities.
> As far as I
> --]know, heroin hasn't successfully displaced (say) cigarettes or alcohol.
> --]
>
> It should sound silly cause it is silly, the problem is its what the
> "market" is reposnding too.

No, it's silly because it completely misunderstands the nature of the
problem. It's like fighting a fire by pouring on gasoline.

> ICQ, AIM, MSMessanger Yahoo messanger Firetalk
> etc etc etc. We already have decent IM type stuff with IRC (add some
> dalnet and undernet features, shake and make stable servers) so this
> whoile IM craze was pretty stupid from the get go.

No, it wasn't. IM and IRC have different use models and different user
communities. They look pretty similar in some ways but that's not to say
that they are the same thing. (After all, TV was nothing more than movies +
radio, two already-existing technologies, by similar reasoning, so why was
that such a big deal?)

> Anyway, lost my point here, its not so much what SHOULD be happening, its
> what IS happening and thats always the same old story, the national
> mindset wants Name Branding on thier stuff or else they wont touch it.Even
> Linux had to go get branded before it got offical acceptance.(now its all
> window gui shit anyways, so that battle is lost)

Hmmm. Sure looks to me like you were proposing a supposed solution to the
supposed problem. When I see what you wrote about "The best thing to do,
imnsfho," I have trouble understanding how you were just describing "what IS
happening."

--Mark