Re: Dead Kennedys

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 19:35:06 PST

Gregory Alan Bolcer writes:
> So, the question on the table is, how can the DKs be considered
> pro-nazi? Easy, Nazi-Punks Fuck Off has become a neo-nazi
> anthem. Remember the enemy-of-my-enemy? The antidisestablishmentarianism
> of their lyrics falls right in line neo-nazi "oppression". They
> associate with the words and twist the meaning. It happens all the time
> with music.

Counterpoint: Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son" being played up
as a flag-waving patriotic anthem on recent commercials, using the
first half of verse one:

  "Some folks are born
   made to raise the flag
   ooh, that red white and blue"

while leaving out the rest:

  "... and when the band plays
   Hail to the Chief
   they point the cannon at you".

I guess that doesn't sell stuff to their target demographic.

Which wasn't nearly as weird as the car ad which did up the Cole
Porter ditty about being "true to you darling, in my fashion" as a
paean to family values (images of a proud mother with the kids) while
*leaving in* the lyrics which made plain that her fashion included
sleeping around with any plutocrat who'd pick up a dinner check.

rst