Re: [Briefing.com] The Day The Bubble Died

From: Tony Berkman (tberkman@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 11:42:52 PST

Having spent many years working as a quantitative analyst at a hedge fund,
one thing I've found to be true time and again is that in most charts, you
can always find just what you are looking for to reconfirm a preconceived
notion. I have grown to take with a grain of salt many terms often used to
describe the various types of markets for precisely the reason Linda
mentions - much depends on time frame and perception. In other words, one
can always make the case that the "long term trend" of ANY market is up, as
long as you go back far enough in time. Since this is true of all markets
at all times, I would offer that the very notion of a "long term trend" is
meaningless.

         As for when has the "bubble truly burst", the contrarian in me
would say that well see the bottom once we stop seeing a multitude of
articles suggesting we've bottomed.

tb