Re: ARTICLE: Despite the buzz, peer-to-peer startups lack business benefits

From: Tony Berkman (tberkman@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 14:05:49 PST

I beg to differ. I could give you a laundry list of Web sites with strong
communities whose value per user is fast approaching $0.00.
Off the top of my head I think of eGreetings, The Globe, Ivillage, and
Women.com, but there are many many many more. Napster's recent valuation
had nothing to do with building the community - it had to do with the idea
that people will ultimately pay for the right to download music and Napster
has market share for distribution right now, plain and simple. The old
metrics of value per user are dead and gone. Revenue rules.

- tb