Re: ARTICLE: Despite the buzz,peer-to-peer startups lack businessbenefits

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 07:50:53 PST

Oh, I thought you wanted an exmaple of somthing
that was p2p device communication.

The wearables came out of the active badges work
at Xerox, so it's proof of concept leading to
futures apps. It's like Sun's Jini, except
for mobile, disconnected, and protocol agile
applications.

On cell phones, the app gets triggered any
time the power or signal changes through an "agent monitor"
built on top of the mobile java stuff (or eventually
our smaller python stack); on bluetooth devices,
we get a signal sent from their stack that something's in range--
although I don't know the details of the protocol. I know
irda does 3 second queries which really suck for batteries
& I know the bluetooth people were very careful to take
this & presence broadcasting into account.

We haven't been calling our stuff Internet, we've been
using Web protocols to do interdevice coordination and proxying.
So it's not THE Web, it's millions upon millions of dynamically
discriminated mobile and disconnected Webs.

Oh wait, I guess that would be kind of like a munchkin, huh?

Greg