[Marketwatch] Reuters anoints first American CEO in 149-year history.

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 17:42:08 PST

Three notes:

  1. Reuters is planning on selling a 25% stake in the Greenhouse Fund.

  2. Reuters' ownership stake in Tibco Software has fallen to 44%.

  3. Reuters is still in year 1 of a four-year $750 million Internet
     initiative. Glocer looks like he'll be more into M&A's than Job was.

I have high hopes for Glocer...

  http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/20001222/news/current/diligence.htx

> REUTERS PINS HOPES ON FIRST AMERICAN
> In a shift, British news service turns to a non-journalist
>
> By Debra McGarry, CBS.MarketWatch.com
> Last Update: 10:23 AM ET Dec 22, 2000
>
> NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Tom Glocer's an American lawyer who has served
> several years as a successful lieutenant under the CEO at one of the
> world's largest information companies, one where he's about to take the
> reins himself.
>
> With credentials like that, Glocer's ascent to chief executive wouldn't
> be so unusual, except for the fact that the company is London-based
> Reuters Group PLC, a 149-year-old British institution that has never
> before asked a non-journalist or an American to be its CEO.
>
> "There was a perception that they needed new blood at Reuters," said
> Angela Maxwell, an analyst who covers media and entertainment companies
> for New York-based Arnhold and L. Bleichroeder Inc.
>
> Next summer, Glocer is scheduled to take over for Peter Job, 60, who
> joined the venerable newswire service as an Oxford University journalism
> graduate 40 years ago and led it for nearly a decade before announcing
> his retirement earlier this year. But he's been practicing for the role.
>
> 'GLOBAL OPERATION'
>
> "I've been running the global operation throughout this year," Glocer
> said in a recent interview with CBS.MarketWatch.com. "One of the things
> I bring to the job moving to London at the center of the company is a
> very healthy understanding of what are the requirements out at the front line."
>
> Glocer will be the ninth CEO and the only the second non-Briton to rule
> Reuters, one of the world's first private newswire services.
>
> Key to the company's growth strategy: A four-year, $750 million Internet
> initiative, announced last February, which got Glocer deeply involved in
> Reuters' long-range plans to go beyond its core base of serving
> institutional customers.
>
> SEE RELATED STORY: Reuters at the Internet crossroads...
>
> http://www.ftmarketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7BB5C8BB1F-8CFD-4C6F-9C02-A422FE255BAB%7D
>
> "Organizationally, we have a push underway to align the firm more
> closely around the types of different users," he said. "This will lead
> to a much richer user experience and personalization." For example, a
> money manager on the so-called "buy-side" at a fund company like
> Fidelity is likely to have data and information needs that differ from
> those of a broker on the sell-side at an investment firm such as
> PaineWebber, Glocer said.
>
> LARGEST DIVISION
>
> Next July, the 41-year-old Glocer moves to London at the conclusion of
> one year running New York-based Reuters Information. As the company's
> largest division, it's in charge of product development and sales of
> news, financial data and services to institutional investors. After
> sales exceeded $2.3 billion in 1999, the division recorded third-quarter
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it. -- The Matrix