Oracle's Internet File System

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 19:45:36 PST

Oracle wrote about its Internet File System:
> ...the first major innovation to the file system in 20 years...

Are they for real?

> As a lightweight communications layer, WebDAV provides a stronger
> avenue for traffic across the Internet than Microsoft Windows.

Is it fair to compare WebDAV to Microsoft Windows?

> TIBCO's industry-leading XML Authority(TM) will fully support Oracle
> Internet File System schemas.

Extensibility was a schema-editing tool. Isn't it rude to refer to such
a tool as "industry-leading" in a press release?

> [...]
> collaboratively edit and manage files across the Internet. As a
> lightweight communications layer, WebDAV provides a stronger avenue for
> traffic across the Internet than Microsoft Windows. WebDAV clients
> connect directly to Oracle Internet File System, where users can drag
> and drop content, edit content in place, and publish it directly from
> the database. The new technology helps companies like ValiCert (Nasdaq:
> VLCT, news, msgs), a premier provider of trust solutions for online
> business transactions, to create repositories, such as ValiCert Document
> Authority, that enable businesses to share, store, digitally sign and
> exchange electronic documents over the Internet-thus significantly
> reducing paper-based processes from business transactions.
>
> "When designing the ValiCert Document Authority, Oracle Internet File
> System provided us with the industrial-strength document management
> infrastructure necessary to support a legal-grade environment," said
> Sathvik Krishnamurthy, vice president of marketing and business
> development, ValiCert. "With the strength and scalability of Oracle
> Internet File System, ValiCert Document Authority has a strong
> foundation for adding our transaction and security capability."
>
> Furthering its commitment to XML, Oracle joined forces with TIBCO
> Software Inc. (Nasdaq: TIBX, news, msgs) a leading provider of real-time
> e-business infrastructure software. TIBCO's industry-leading XML
> Authority(TM) will fully support Oracle Internet File System
> schemas. Organizations can create and deploy new classes of objects
> within Oracle Internet File System through an intuitive and graphical
> user interface, allowing customers to locally view, edit, validate,
> convert, and deploy Oracle Internet File System schemas. With XML
> Authority, these schemas can be managed and exchanged across any
> platform, dramatically improving productivity.
>
> "TIBCO is committed to working with leading providers of XML-based
> technologies that enable the convergence of the data and document
> worlds," said Reid Conrad, vice president TIBCO Software. "XML Authority
> creates the means to bridge the two worlds via XML schemas, which
> customers of Oracle and Oracle Internet File System can utilize for
> enterprise-class data and document stores."
>
> The latest version of Oracle Internet File System is available now,
> free-of-charge, as part of Oracle8i, Release 3 on all major UNIX,
> Windows and Linux hardware platforms. Oracle Internet File System
> supports Microsoft Windows '95, Microsoft Windows '97 and Microsoft 2000
> client machines and enables other clients to connect through HTTP,
> WebDAV and FTP protocols. Oracle Internet File System has full National
> Language Support and complies with the American Disabilities Act.
>
> About Oracle
>
> Oracle provides the software that powers the Internet. For more
> information about Oracle, please call 650-506-7000.

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

"You have asked me how I feel about whiskey -- if, when you say whiskey, you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the stuff that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips and a warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty morning, if you mean the drink that enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrows, if you mean that drink -- then certainly I am in favor of it."

-- Noah S. "Soggy" Sweat, Jr., to the Mississippi House, April 4, 1952, http://www.dack.com/booze/tribute.html