Re: Oracle's Internet File System

From: Joachim Feise (jfeise@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 20:30:16 PST

Adam Rifkin wrote:
> > Oracle Internet File System, which began shipping in May 2000
> >
> > Additionally, the latest version of Oracle Internet File System supports
> > Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV)

It took them so long to realize that they need WebDAV support?
I looked into it earlier this year (they had some preliminary stuff out in
February or March) and dismissed it because they did their own proprietary stuff.

> > As a lightweight communications layer, WebDAV provides a stronger
> > avenue for traffic across the Internet than Microsoft Windows.
>
> Is it fair to compare WebDAV to Microsoft Windows?

How they can compare a protocol with an OS is beyond me. Windows provides
several "avenues for traffic across the Internet", and WebDAV (of course, MS had
to come up with their own name of WebFolders) is one of them.
But I am not surprised. Oracle, or rather Larry E. views everything with an eye
towards fighting against MS.

-Joe