RE: Oracle's Internet File System

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 08:59:04 PST

I'd guess that either it was re-invented (the idea isn't that novel) or that
the patent was narrow enough (the integration of a "real" RDBMS with a
mostly off-the-shelf OS) to not cover this situation. Did BeOS allow you
to look at all files within a filesystem for a query without the annoyance
of walking through a tree of directory structures? That's the key idea in
this situation. I should be able to find all files created after date XXX
starting with "YYY" in the title without grinding through an entire
filesystem (like Windows...), and it would be great if I could set up a
"folder" that would have as its contents the results of a query without
incurring ridiculous overhead to do so.

The flexible handling of categorization and hierarchies in Placeless
Documents was also cool. It gave you the ability to drag files in or out of
a directory otherwise defined by a query's results -- adding the ability to
handle a simple operation that users expect a file system to provide, but
that a pure query-based system couldn't handle.

Ken