Re: IBM 76.8Gb ultra dma/100 hard drive at Fry's for $375...

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 12:16:39 PST

Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> I think we'll soon be at the point where there is no meaningful difference
> between hard disk latency and network latency. The only reason to cache
> content then will be paranoia (not that there's anything wrong with *that* :)

The future of mass storage is solid-state, which should give you ns latencies,
eventually. Since a 1 ns light pulse in vacuum is about 30 cm long, even with
a purely photonically switched network (to arrive roughly by the time you
own a solid state mass storage) you'll see a difference in latency
between what is on the desktop and what is at the next street lantern.

There's point in storing information in the network though, see MojoNation.net
Ephemeral encrypted content which evaporates as soon as you pull the machine
from the network can't be subpoenaed.