[Existential question] Why do I FoRKpost, but not editthispage or blog?

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 04:13:57 PST

I tried to be hip, a couple of months ago I signed up to start

   http://ifindkarma.editthispage.com/

and

   http://ifindkarma.blogspot.com/

and ever since then, I haven't posted a friggin' thing. Instead,
whenever I find something neat, I whip open an emacs session (and get
scolded for using /bin/mail if anyone else is in the room), cut-n-paste,
and send it off to FoRK@XeNT.CoM. Never even occurs to me to Webloggit.

Worse, I just paid Network Solutions (um, VeriSign) a few hundred bucks to keep

   http://www.ifindkarma.com/

even though I'm not doing anything with it and I have no time to do
anything with it and there are places that I could spend an order of
magnitude less money with to keep the name. (Although none of *them*
would send me a "thank you" custom ifindkarma.com tee shirt because
they're so happy with my business. Stratton Sclavos and James Rutt, I
salute you!)

Now that I think about it, I'm one of the people who screams when
someone takes my pretty, well-formed HTML and edits it with Vignette
blahblahblah or Allaire blahblahblah or FrontPage blahblahblah which
kills not only the wellformedness a lot of the time but also sticks ugly
indentations and moronifies the tagging a bunch of garbage markups and
goopy embedded stylesheet gobbledygook.

I guess I'm now a Web dinosaur. Back in the day, I was putting stuff up
on the Web back before there were tools to create and maintain Weblogs,
and now my website smells like something that was splattered onto the Web
1993-1996 and then never touched again

    http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/

so there's some useful things in there, lots of outdated information,
and a bazillion broken links -- and the whole site is held together with
duct tape and spit. I should probably take the whole thing down, but
I'm too lazy. I do wonder if thirty years from now my kids will stumble
on Daddy's Web museum forever cached in the steel jaws of Google,
sprawled out with spew describing all the indiscretions of my Web youth...

    http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/faq-adam.html

Ok, will stop obsessing over it now. I have a job to do, and will
simply leave the Weblogs to the poets and the curators and the
superarticulate among us. Every now end then, I'll spend the occasional
3 minutes whipping out one of these FoRKmails and let hypermail do its
thing so I can get back to work. So much to do...

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Agent Smith: We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation in bringing a known terrorist to justice.

Neo: Yeah. Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger... and you give me my phone call.

-- The Matrix