Windows 2000 Server Delivers Five Nines?

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 05:53:29 PST

Any URL that ends with "reliable/de fault .asp" sounds suspect... :)

   http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/server/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp

How does Microsoft know what level of reliability I need? Have they
been scanning my hard drive again?

What a beautiful little piece of truth-in-advertising: "The Windows 2000
Server Family is the most reliable set of server operating systems
Microsoft has ever produced."

> Windows 2000 Server: Delivering the Level of Reliability You Need
>
> In the IT industry, server operating system reliability is expressed in
> terms of "nines." For example, 99.99 percent uptime is referred to as
> "four nines" and 99.999 percent uptime is referred to as "five nines."
> Regarded as the highest number realistically achievable, five nines
> equates to less than five minutes downtime per year.
>
> The developers who built the Windows 2000 Server Family targeted
> 24x7x365 uptime. In business terms, that's what five nines deliver. How
> did they do? Consider the following:
>
> Today Starbucks, FreeMarkets, and MortgageRamp, an affiliate of GMAC
> Commercial Mortgage, are using Windows 2000 Server-based systems
> designed to deliver 99.999 percent server uptime.
>
> Industry leaders such as Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Motorola Computer
> Group, Unisys, and Stratus can work with you to deliver solutions with
> up to five nines uptime. Of course, not all business operations require
> this level of availability, but one thing is clear from the experiences
> of the companies above: The Windows 2000 Server family can help you get
> the system availability you need.
>
> And the three offerings in the family -- Windows 2000 Server, Advanced
> Server, and Datacenter Server -- allow you to tailor your investment to
> provide the level of system availability that's appropriate for your
> various business operations, without overbuying for situations that
> don't require maximum uptime.
>
> Building on "Outstanding" Availability Out of the Box
>
> For the majority of usage scenarios, 99.99 percent uptime is adequate,
> as this equals less than one hour of downtime per year. The Aberdeen
> Group found that Windows 2000 Servers delivered 99.95 percent uptime
> right out of the box, before the servers were fully optimized for the
> environment, and before the IT staff had gotten up to speed using the
> new operating system. Read the report to see why the Aberdeen Group
> calls this level of availability "outstanding."
>
> Microsoft treated that level as a baseline. To deliver the ultimate in
> business availability, the company realized that solutions need to
> include highly trained people and top-notch processes, in addition to
> solid technology. So Microsoft created the Datacenter Server Program,
> which can help you achieve 99.999 percent uptime with Windows 2000
> Datacenter Server on qualified systems from Microsoft OEM partners. See
> the FreeMarkets case study for an example of the Datacenter Server Program.
>
> Analysts and Customers Agree
>
> In its report on Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, DH Brown Associates
> says, "Windows 2000 clearly takes a major step up in the enterprise food
> chain and now resides legitimately on the same field as UNIX
> competitors. Moreover, the business programs that Microsoft has put in
> place around Windows 2000 Datacenter Server will give broad classes of
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Your head's so filled with thought you can't use your imagination, Like a sky so filled with stars you can't find a constellation. -- SR-71, "Politically Correct"