Trendspotting: The OReilly P2P Conference

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 17:08:29 PST

How many FoRKs can you find in the picture below:

   http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/p2p2001/pub/w/125

Excuse me while I double-count...

   Nelson Minar, 4
   Clay Shirky, 3
   Gene Kan, 3
   Christian Huitema, 2
   Ray Ozzie, 2
   David Anderson, 2
   Ed Dumbill, 1
   Rael Dornfest, 1
   Lucas Gonze, 1
   David Stutz, 1
   Dave Winer, 1
   Michael Bauer, 1 (What?! No Jeremie Miller??)
   Greg Bolcer, 1
   Rohit Khare, 1

> Wednesday, February 14
> 9:00 am Keynote, Grand Ballroom
> Lessons from Napster
> -- Clay Shirky, Partner for Technology and Product Strategy
> The Accelerator Group
>

> Dimensions of P2P - A Conversation
> -- Clay Shirky, Partner for Technology and Product Strategy
> The Accelerator Group
> -- Gene Kan, CEO
> InfraSearch
>

> 10:30 am Break
> 11:00 am Plenary, Grand Ballroom
> P2P in the Enterprise
> -- Ray Ozzie, Founder and CEO
> Groove Networks
> -- Jonathan Hare, President, CEO and Co-Founder
> Consilient
>

> 12:00 pm Lunch
> 1:15 pm Technical Track, Grand Ballroom
> P2P and the Web
> -- Edd Dumbill, Managing Editor
> XML.com
>

> The Two-Way Web: An Interoperable Foundation for P2P
> -- Rohit Khare
>

> InterWiki
> -- Ward Cunningham, Cofounder
> Cunningham and Cunningham
>

> The Two-Way Web
> -- Dave Winer, CEO
> UserLand Software
>

> Technical Track, Colonial Room
>
> Lessons from the Internet
> -- Christian Huitema, Trustee
> Internet Society
>

> Security Issues Surrounding Distributed and Peer-to-Peer Systems
> -- Nelson Minar, Chief Technology Officer
> Popular Power
>

> Dealing with NATs and Firewalls - A Conversation
> -- Nelson Minar, Chief Technology Officer
> Popular Power
> -- Christian Huitema, Trustee
> Internet Society
> -- Ray Ozzie, Founder and CEO
> Groove Networks
>

> Business Track, Georgian Room
>
> P2P 101, An Overview of the P2P Landscape
> -- Larry Cheng, Associate
> Battery Ventures
>

> Peer-to-Peer Networks in Financial Services
> -- Alexis Kopikis, Co-founder
> WorldStreet
>

> Turtledove: P2P Commerce using the Jabber Framework
> -- Greg Broiles, CEO
> Turtledove
>

> Case Study: Examining The Results of Peer-to-Peer Collaboration at Price WaterhouseCoopers
> -- Jamey Harvey
>

> 3:15 pm Break
> 3:45 pm Plenary, Grand Ballroom
> Lessons from SetiAtHome
> -- David Anderson, Chief Technology Officer
> United Devices, Inc.
>

> CTO Panel - Approaches to Distributed Computation
> -- David Anderson, Chief Technology Officer
> United Devices, Inc.
> -- Nelson Minar, Chief Technology Officer
> Popular Power
>

> Thursday, February 15
> 9:00 am Keynote, Grand Ballroom
> Keynote - Bill Joy
> -- Bill Joy, Chief Scientist
> Sun Microsystems
>

> Plenary, Grand Ballroom
>
> Web Services - A Panel Discussion
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say. When I try to shut my mouth it comes out anyway. -- SR-71, "Politically Correct"