Re: 'Antitrust' RIM Report

From: Brian A. LaMacchia (bal@farcaster.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 09:34:38 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rohit Khare" <Rohit@KnowNow.com>
To: <sdw@lig.net>
Cc: <fork@xent.com>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 12:24 AM
Subject: Re: 'Antitrust' RIM Report

> Is it me, or was that an Apple titanium laptop on Tim Robbins' desk?
> They used Macs throughout, and yet if it were, I'd expect more
> triumphant product placement.

I saw this last Thursday at an RSA Security-sponsored screening. I must
have gotten at least three separate mailings from RSAS over the last month
touting their participation & product placement in the movie. (They even
sent out half-sheets with a "Look for RSA Security" added.)

When I came out of the movie, I told the four RSAS folks there that while
they got reasonable placement, anyone who didn't know better would think
that RSAS made ID badge-making equipment. For all the hype, I was very
disappointed that there was no crypto in the movie at all, just too-short
"activation codes" sent to satellites on net 10 addresses!

                    --bal