Re: Crossgain Fires a Quarter of Its Employees

From: Gordon Mohr (gojomo@usa.net)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 10:55:10 PST

Does Washington state look more kindly upon non-compete clauses than
California?

Seems like there must be more to this story, to explain Crossgain's
capitulation. Something along the lines of (though I don't know any
of these to be true):

  (1) Washington state's more pro-employer laws in this matter.
  (2) MSFT's especially clever employment/confidentiality contracts.
  (3) Some other pull, in another matter, MSFT has over the company
      or its backers. (Is MSFT bailing out one of their other
      investments? Or does MSFT have 'smoking gun' evidence that
      MSFT documents were taken to the company?)
  (4) Other problems at the company, which made them willing to take
      such a revectoring hit.

- Gordon