Re: fleet week: just-in-time nuclear electricity?

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 13:07:10 PST

Actually...I'll bcc this to my spouse, who once sat in a bunker
in (I believe) Honolulu, with the mayor and some other folks, and
a nuclear sub "on tap" in case the main generating facilities needed
a jumpstart. This was during some hurricane in the 80's, while he
was in grad school, and was doing some amateur radio volunteer
emergency service.

I love the idea of a sub in the Berkeley marina. I doubt CA will
rate a loaner, though. In addition to the usual politics, which
state will probably pick up most of the hightech that's starting
to drift away from the valley (like "no more CA plants" Intel)?

Could it be a state with an established relationship with many
hightech firms, a large university presence, and relaxed environmental
standards? From which our new fearless bonsai leader hails?

Naah.

I'm not enough of a conspiracist to think this was engineered (waay
out of bounds), but I certainly believe that where inaction can harm,
inaction will be taken here.

_SRC

Gordon Mohr wrote:

> Anyone here know enough about naval nuclear reactors to say whether parking
> a few subs and aircraft carriers in the bay and cabling them to the local
> power grid could save silicon valley from rolling blackouts?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> If this would work, I'd suggest tethering a sub in the Berkeley
> marina, for optimal irony generation.
>
> - Gordon

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **