Re: fleet week: just-in-time nuclear electricity?

From: Strata Rose Chalup (
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 13:49:04 PST wrote:

> A nuke drive is optimized to do one thing: propulsion. You'd have to get the
> sub into a drydock, and interface a watertight generator to it, then
> dump it back into the sea, so it can frolick in sufficient coolant.
> I don't think trying to operate a nuke in a drydock only cooled by
> water pumps is a good idea.

I think "the plan" is more of a facetious attempt at humor than an
actual plan. But in either case, I don't believe that you're
correct here. A nuclear submarine does not have a "nuclear drive"
optimized for propulsion. It has a nuclear power plant which
generates electricity to run a motor drive, period. It *is* a
generator. It's not steam powering or water powering any kind
of direct drive equipment, simply providing electricity.

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@"
VirtualNet Consulting
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **