The Onion on Lava Lamps

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 15:01:05 PST

http://www.theonion.com/onion3704/lava_lamps_retro.html

"Further complicating matters are the complex meta-retro aesthetics of
pop-culture-obsessed Generation Xers for whom the lamps represent a form of
"retro-retro." For such individuals--who enjoyed the lamps in the late '80s
as a retro throwback but then grew out of this "pure" retro phase and
rejected them, only to eventually develop nostalgic affection for their
original retro feelings--it is hard to assess how they truly feel about the
lamps."

- Jim

Full disclosure: I have a lava lamp on my desk, which has been turned off to
free up its 40 W/hr of electric usage during the current California power
crisis.