Re: Cyberposium, Boston, Feb 20-21

Mike Masnick (mdm8@cornell.edu)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:01:11 -0500

At 12:11 PM 2/11/98 -0800, Rohit Khare wrote:

>Dammit, this is the kind fo thing that makes me miss being in Boston... The
>Harvard brand really does pull in some excellent connections. The crack
about
>match.com was at the similar event in 1996. Now, it's even more organized,
>parties and all...

Harvard's name... and its nice location help. As the organizer of
Cornell's equivalent last year, I discovered how hard it is to drag people
to Ithaca (for last year's web page:
http://www.cjs.cornell.edu/students/clubs/tmc/symposium/ ). Ours was a
good event, and Harvard upped the ante this year (though Cornell is one of
the participating schools helping them out - a role which I am playing
right now). Cornell's symposium this year is being organized now (I've
moved on so it's not me any more), but I imagine it will be pretty good.
It's supposedly on August 8th, and I know confirmed speakers include Dan
Hesse, CEO of AT&T wireless, Rob Ryan - Founder of Ascend, and the CEO of
PlanetAll.

-Mike

P.S. For those who don't understand, Cornell is the "inferiority complex"
of the Ivy League. We hate it when other schools do something well, 'cause
we think it takes away from us. Well, at least we have a pumpkin hanging
off our clock tower...