Re: send yer name to mars! (fwd)

spunkanado (tomwhore@interport.net)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:05:46 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Rohit Khare wrote:

> As if!
>
> Yeah, Martians are going to get out this pitted, rotting polycarbonate disc
> whose polymers have melted into god-knows-what after a few millennia of UV;
> recover the aluminum information layer; figure out he physical track layout;
> the CD-level error correcting code; the ISO CDROM datastream standards; DOS
> (or Mac with Rock Ridge) filesystem layout; ASCII; and then, for what? a
> completely unstructured, entropic, waste of space, viz. kid's names.

Well ya see I dont think anyone setting this up realy belives that the
disc will do anything more than be hurled from here to there and stay
there until the first maned mission get there (which , looking at the
progress of things should be in another 1000 years) and set it up in a
gift shop near the John Carter Warlord of Mars Amusement park.

What it might do is spark some kids imagination about mars, space, thier
place in it etc etc..

That to me is the more noble cause.