Re: Tonight's Death Match: "Objective Heresy" vs. "Church of Objectology."

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 01:15:39 -0800

I'm re-forwarding some of

http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/feb98/0139.html

to dist-obj for context because Dave Crook's comments in his post there
has stimulated so much discussion about objects here today.

Dave's point about decomposition and encapsulation having existed before
objects were en vogue is valid, as is his point that good design is more
important than what you use to implement that design.

I think the good thing about objects is that they help to enforce a
discipline which, although it does not guarantee good design, certainly
encourages good design. Objects are not a helpful way of thinking for
everyone, but they are certainly a helpful way of thinking for some.

I say that objects do not necessarily guarantee a good design because of
an experience I had managing a student term project here at Caltech in
which the students didn't understand good design -- instead of writing
their program in 21 modular units, they wrote it as a single monolithic
12,000+ line file of pseudo-Java which they then ran through a
preprocessor that they custom-wrote to take their pseudo-Java, convert
it to real Java, and in the process break it up into 21 files each
containing the appropriate objects which could then be compiled by the
Java compiler.

I also realize that you need not use objects to have a clean, modular
design, with the appropriate data coupled with the appropriate methods
for that data.

My point is that in some cases, objects can help. And we shouldn't turn
our back on them just because they don't help in all instances. We all
know that software has no silver bullet. Our job as developers is to
choose the right tool for each given job -- and so we may or may not
want objects, we might want to use commercial off-the-shelf tools
wherever we can, we may be forced to incorporate legacy code, we may
consider the tradeoffs between centralized and decentralized solutions,
we might consider client-server or multi-tiered approaches, we may or
may not want to specify interface syntax using IDLs, we may or may not
want to employ patterns for solutions, we may have to weigh the use of
different languages to figure out which one is most appropriate, we
might want to use declarative markup to better annotate the data, we
could choose RPCs for communication or perhaps messages or events, we
might decide that an agent metaphor is appropriate, we may want to use a
document metaphor for the artifacts being created, stored, and
exchanged... and so on.

I think it's wonderful that there are so many software tools available,
because it means that we're far more likely to find the right tool for
developing solutions more easily.
-- Adam

Dave's original post:
> From: Dave Crook (dcrook@commwerks.com) Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:36:07 -0800

> Adam,
>
> Will there be any rules to this death match? I hope not, for it to
> truly be a religious war then that has to be a war to the death, no
> quarter asked or granted. And as well all know, EVERY topic in this
> field takes on religious proportions. I've watched month long flame
> wars over vi vs emacs. I'm proud to have been one of the first posters
> on alt.religion.emacs (you can't spell evil without vi), but then it
> was tounge-in-cheek humor, I read the newsgroup a couple months after
> it started and sadly enough, people were taking it seriously. These
> people have no lives.
>
> But I will take up this call to arms and defend "the way things have
> been and worked all right" vs "the fad of the month".
>
> Actually I'm kidding. I am actually looking at this object stuff
> seriously, I just picked up Orfali, Harkey and Edwards "Essential
> Distributed Objects Survival Guide" and I actually intend on reading
> it soon. But since I haven't found object religion yet, I'll make some
> objections to your post.

> Adam, can you prove that OO isn't simply a plot to drive programmers
> out of the field and increase salaries? The circumstantial evidence is
> there, just as OO programming has gotten hot in the last few years the
> demand for programmers is going up. Even now there is a serious
> decline in the number of people going into the field. Probably all the
> C++ that they are scaring the college kids with.

> Yes, decomposition and encapsulation are GREAT concepts. But they
> PREDATE OO programming by a decade or too. How is a class
> fundamentally different from an abstract data type? True, its got a
> neater implementation, but its still the same thing. I've implemented
> typedefs and related manipulation functions in one file in C before, I
> just called it an abstract data type. I think you will have to go
> farther if you are going to claim a decisive victory for OO. It is
> true that the main subject of what is being decomposed and
> encapsulated is different for functional based design. But still its
> still organization.
>
> I grant that OO designed systems have a greater capacity for reusing
> modules of code in other projects. The modules rely on code outside
> themselves only through starkly defined interfaces. Functional
> decomposition doesn't give you this.
>
> But I ask, is this really a big deal? In THEORY it sounds great. But,
> its theory. One of the quotes in the joke interview was Stroustrup
> stating that no companies reuse their code. I hate to break it to you,
> but its true. Now some things do get reused a lot, they are called
> libraries and you can create those without OO programming thank you
> very much. But follow me on this for a second. Assume you have an OO
> designed banking system. Now lets say that over time that the
> [...]

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Objects in rearview mirror may be closer than they appear.