Re: Who's on FoRK. (Removing redundancies from dist-obj-nofork@cs)

Ron Resnick (rresnick@dialogosweb.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:49:53 -0500

Comments below.
Ron.

----------
From: Joseph R. Kiniry <kiniry@cs.caltech.edu>
To: I Find Karma <adam@cs.caltech.edu>
Cc: tomwhore@interport.net; resnick@interlog.com;
orchard@pacificspirit.com; cskerr@geocities.com; sandor.spruit@let.ruu.nl
Subject: Who's on FoRK. (Removing redundancies from dist-obj-nofork@cs)
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 1998 4:55 PM

Thx. I have removed Tom(whore), Ron, Dave, Charles, and Sandor
from the dist-obj-nofork list.

Joe

I Find Karma writes:

> The current list of FoRKers, in reverse order joined:
> 1.resnick@interlog.com - Ron
> 2.l.wood@surrey.ac.uk - Lloyd
> 3.shcho@halla.sec.samsung.co.kr
> 4.timBL@w3.org - Tim
> Before you mail Tim:
> If you need someone to find something for you about
some arbitrary subject (travel agents, or
> parakeets or whatever), don't ask him, but try the
Virtual Library for example.
> If you want to know how to run a server, or how to
edit HTML, check the W3C web or your local
> bookstore. He's sorry he can't answer individual
requests for help.
bad links from www.w3.org pages, or errors
> in the hypertext please see the webmaster's
documentation.

--
Joseph R. Kiniry       A1 F9 C5 8C B3 43 54 20 FA 20 63 80 53 C3 6D 85
California Institute of Technology           ID 78860581   ICQ 4344804

1) Adam - Heeeeeey!! Wait a minute - just cuz I drop off fork for a little R&R, I get bumped to the back of the list? What's with that - don't I get my old spot back with Mark - ie down near #59? This is unfair - I demand dignified treatment as a veteran, harumph :-)

2) So, let me get this straight - we are strictly barred from emailing timBL@w3.org directly to ask for help with our sick parakeets. But it's perfectly ok if I want to mail to fork@xent.ics.uci.org for some communal group therapy for my sick parakeet Fifi, and TBL just becomes one of the fellas who suggests cold compresses and a vacation in tropical Tahiti? Wow, I've never mingled with royalty before (does Rohit count?) I'm getting all tingly :-). [Psst - remind me someone - which is the shrimp FoRK and which is the salad FoRK.]

3) JoeK - Check carefully - I'm pretty sure that 19.daniel.brickley@bristol.ac.uk is a dist-obj crossover, and that 21.dave@shortbus.com is none other than Dave Crook dcrook@commwerks.com, also now on dist-obj. Oh, and 38.dgibbons@sparky.oroad.com should be Darren, not Dave, and is also on dist-obj if memory serves. Wasn't SteveP - Darren's buddy - also on both lists? Is he off FoRK now?

I assume that real old timers like JoeB, Mark, Adam, DMZ, and Wayne are already accounted for in the dist-obj-nofork set.

Anybody got a problem with any of that? Speak now or forever hold your peace...

Ob.useless-stats: I observe that dist-obj having recently crossed 150 is precisely double FoRK at its present 75. FoRK having been around since - what? fall of 95? is about 28 months old. dist-obj started after Mark&I met Joe at OOPSLA96, making it about 16 months old.

dist-obj avg. rate of growth - 154/16 = 9.6 members/month FoRK avg. rate of growth - 75/28 = 2.7 members/month Not very accurate, since the growths have not been linear for either list (dist-obj took well over half a year to get to 30, and now gets 30 in about 2 months, I figure).

Also, this is hardly a 'my dick is longer than your dick' competition. We're actively concerned about dist-obj growing beyond the point where it can no longer serve its original purpose, as a quiet, thoughtful, reflective place.

We got so noisy in the last few days (no thanks to loudmouths like Adam and me - and Doug Lea) - that we're now dumping our garbage on FoRK's front lawn - let's see how they like it for a change :-).

Ron