virtual dial-up (was RE: Interlog joining iPass alliance)

Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 02:09:46 -0800

I'm sending this message from Tokyo using a local ISP's dial-up number
(they are authenticating me back to a corporate server). Some Windows
95/NT software called InfoCrypt is then setting up a secure tunnel so
that all packets sent to my company's internal network are encrypted in
transit. The packets of this e-mail, for instance, are encrypted on
their way to the mail server. By contrast, my web browsing goes
directly out from Tokyo.

I'm saving about $60 an hour in phone charges, and getting 19.2 kbps
dialup instead of 12.8 kbps over int'l phone lines. It's incredibly
cool. The service I use, BTW, is Ipass's competitor, GRIC
<http://www.gric.com>.

- dan