Economists challenge the QWERTY myth.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:01:28 -0800

Also from the Wall Street Journal, and Rohit I realize you say you
FoRKed it but Altavista cannot find it and it's not in any subject line
you've posted in 1998 (knucklehead, follow the rules of posting,
whydontcha?).

> "It should have been impossible to have the persistence of an inferior
> technology."

Yeah, right. Welcome to the 1990s, pal.

More of an indication that we're in some postmodern combination of 4, 5,
6a, and 6b in the FoRK mailing list lifecycle

http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/feb98/0432.html

It's enough to make you want to bang on your QWERTY all day.
-- Adam

> [...]
> typing pools -- would have grasped the long-term economic benefits of
> paying to switch over to the "better" design. What's more, while today's
> personal computers can easily be reprogrammed to the Dvorak layout, few
> people do.
>
> For Profs. Liebowitz and Margolis, both observations cast doubt on the
> Dvorak keyboard's superiority. And once that example crumbles, they
> suggest, some of the larger conclusions of path dependence also must be
> called into question.
>
> The pair also take aim at the VHS-Beta story. VHS won that battle, they
> say, because it could tape for twice as long, something consumers
> clearly wanted. Similarly, they note that DOS computers caught on
> because they were markedly less expensive than Apple's.
>
> Prof. David, who is currently doing research at Oxford University, says
> he "stands by" his original paper. He does note, however, that he hadn't
> even read the disputed Navy keyboard study before writing his article.
>
> But many other economists say they've been persuaded by Profs. Liebowitz
> and Margolis and their detective work. Among them is
> Prof. Krugman. "QWERTY is a great metaphor," the MIT economist says. But
> he concedes that evidence of being locked into a bad technology "turns
> out to be fairly weak."
>
> Prof. Arthur, now affiliated with the Santa Fe Institute, a think tank,
> says the Liebowitz-Margolis critique of the QWERTY story doesn't
> demolish the path-dependence theory. Both he and Prof. David say their
> real point was not to flog the merits of one keyboard over another, but
> rather to show that historical events have a large and unacknowledged
> role in shaping economic choices. "The issue was that these markets
> worked differently than I had been taught they did," Prof. Arthur says.
>
> Yet Prof. Liebowitz points out that the claim of path dependence that
> major, QWERTY-like inefficiencies are common "was clearly the hook that
> got everyone into the theory. If they lose that hook, they lose a lot."
>
> In fact, there is an emerging consensus among economists that the
> path-dependence school has yet to come up with the smoking gun it needs
> to show the marketplace locked into a manifestly inferior
> technology. Douglas Puffert, an economic historian who was Prof. David's
> research assistant on the QWERTY paper, says he knows of no such case
> that has been "unambiguously proven."
>
> That failure is important, because the real debate between the
> path-dependence theorists and their critics involves how well markets
> work. And on that issue, economists like Prof. Krugman are starting to
> sound like Profs. Liebowitz and Margolis in defending the vigor of free
> markets.
>
> "Really large mistakes offer profit opportunities," Prof. Krugman
> says. "If there is a really crummy technology out there that we have
> locked into, then it will be worth it for someone to pay the cost"

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

SQWERTY, n.: Pint-sized computer keyboard specially made for children.