Re: Newton dead, killed by Apple

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:19:00 -0800

At 10:10 AM -0800 2/27/98, Lloyd Wood came up with the following:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, CobraBoy wrote:
>
> > At 6:26 AM -0800 2/27/98, Lloyd Wood came up with the following:
> >
> > > The Apple Newton is now officially dead. It will be replaced by MacOS
> > > machines in the same Emate form factor. People will then no doubt buy
> > > Windows CE machines instead, since you go with the desktop operating
> > > system everyone else goes with.
> >
> > Here is another in the series of just how stoopid Apple is. My buddy bought
> > a original Newton. He's on the usenet bitching about there is no developer
> > kit for the infared gizmo. The product manager for Newton infared gizmo's
> > sends him an email saying if he'll shut up he'll send him an internal Apple
> > developer kit. So he agrees.
>
> If that was when the Newton first came out, the Apple Newton developer
> kit cost around $1000, no IR stuff included. They'd have done better
> building in a modem.
>
> The PalmPilot developer kit is free. The Psion's isn't; the PalmPilot
> will whup the Psion.

Is the Psion something in Britain? I don't think I've heard of it.

> > So you could of have your Newton handle all you Audio/Video needs. He had
> > his set up to turn on his VCR, select tracks on his CD Player etc.
>
> All his kit was by Sony, I take it?

Yep, I should have mentioned that.

BTW Microsofties, what up with your device? How's it selling?

Tim

-

I know that, you know that, it's Apple that doesn't know that.

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>