RE: NeXTSTEP Re: SIMSON SAYS: Copyright and wrongs

Timotheus (salo@harmonium.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 02:07:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Tim Byars wrote:

> I don't get it. And if you have a Newton
> 2000, well that little fucker is amazing. Nothing out there really
> compares to it. Discounting the color screen not even the new HP PDA.

There were rumours of a StrongARM native JavaOS port after Apple canned
the Newton. Some medium sized company (not to mention Sun who still hasn't
released much info about their javaOS pda) could have bought the newton
(for the price of a cup of coffee) and laid waste to the palm pilot and CE
toys. Can you imagine ?

I have to believe Apple had a hidden agenda for droppping (not even
selling !) the Newton. Was it to make way for CE ? hmmm... Ok Steve, you
drop the Newton and I'll step up the release date of Office for MacOS so
you can bundle it with the iMac. Deal ?

TiM