Re: Commercial Open Source

From: Manoj Kasichainula (manojk@io.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 12:13:09 PST

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 07:51:18AM -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> A couple of interesting things, I hadn't realized there was a
> backlash against RHAT from the open source community. Can anyone
> confirm that or is this just some Forbes fiction?

Part of it, as rst noted, is just Slashdotters being Slashdotters
("Red Hat is the next Microsoft!" and so on).

But, the quality of Red Hat releases has been declining as of late
(Sorry, Silly). How they could release the installer in the condition
it was in is beyond me. And, a serious (but simple to fix, AFAIK) bug
in their Apache RPM, which was causing plenty of tech-support
headaches for third-party module teams like PHP's, took *months* to
fix. Part of the "backlash" stems from these kinds of problems.

- Manoj
Still faithful to Red Hat...