RE: The Fed

From: Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 23:12:47 PST

Quack. Want to know about the Fed? Alan Greenspan is the Jon Postel of the
monetary system. It's an important job and quite influential, but if he
does it right things just work.

If you really want to learn about the Fed, search Slate for Krugman and
Greenspan
<http://find.slate.msn.com/code/Archive/Archive.asp?QueryText=krugman+and+gr
eenspan&Action=FullText> or read almost anything the Economist writes on the
subject.

                - dan

--
Daniel Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
tel:+1-425-519-7968  fax:+1-425-602-6223

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Baker [mailto:mark.baker@Canada.Sun.COM] Sent: Monday, 2000-01-17 11:53 To: fork@xent.com; this@bodo.org Subject: The Fed

So I've been doing some reading about the U.S. Banking system, particularly the Fed. My Dad sent me the book, "The Creature from Jekyll Island"[1]. It's interesting reading, and I haven't read anything yet that is clearly untrue based on my novice understanding of how money works. But the guy clearly holds way too much of a grudge to be very trustworthy, and this is my first real look at this topic in any depth.

Has anybody read this book who does know how this all works? Any recommendations for a less biased opinion of the need for central banking?

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0912986212/o/qid=948138352/sr=2-1/for krecommendedrA/

MB