Re: FW: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 20:24:43 PST

Gregory Alan Bolcer writes:
> They were being secretive about it but saying they were going to
> do something like that. The $75 is supposed to cover some commercial
> parts of the software, and also they are planning on delivering Apache and
> Sendmail with the stuff. IBM is beating them up saying they don't "get"
> Linux, but Sun's done a $30M investment in Caldera. Even though
> IBM is talking, they sure ain't walking yet.

Huh? The last time I looked, the most productive Apache developers
seemed to be IBM employees doing the work on company time. Also,
they've released any number of mainstream commercial packages for
Linux (DB2, Domino, the Java VM that they just arranged to get shipped
with Red Hat and other distros, etc.) --- this stuff isn't Open
Source, but neither is anything Sun has released lately, to the best
of my knowledge. And IBM at least "gets it" enough to acknowledge
straightforwardly what is open source and what isn't, rather than
playing silly "community license" mind games...

rst