Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 08:27:48 PST

Ernest N. Prabhakar writes:
> Now, that seems a little unfair. I'm no big fan of SCSL, but from what I've
> seen Sun has always been very up front about their license NOT being open
> source. They've never claimed it is, nor (as far as I can tell) tried to
> lure the open source community into using it.

They've never claimed it meets the OSD, but they have spilled an awful
lot of ink about how it is "a better approach" which supposedly does a
better job of "protecting the community". I'm not aware either that
they've tried to lure existing open source projects into using it.
However, I'm also not alone in viewing it as a way of putting a
"communitarian" veneer on what remains their proprietary technology,
as a way of confusing the issue for folks who might otherwise choose
genuinely open source alternatives.

rst