SalonHerringWiredFool.com

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 01:25:46 PST

Well, this is a saucy little foray into unauthorized content syndication
by syndicating links instead of full articles:

> This web site is not endorsed by, or in any way affiliated with, any of
> the publications whose content is linked to.
> Salon.Com, Red Herring, and Wired News are trademarks or registered
> trademarks of their respective owners.
> Fool and The Motley Fool are trademarks of The Motley Fool, Inc.
> UserLand is a registered trademark of UserLand Software, Inc.

Still, it's a neat form of aggregation... "An experiment in Internet
content. Four great story flows, one smart website..."

    http://www.salonherringwiredfool.com/

And of course, we look behind the curtain and there's Dave Winer pulling
the strings, using his XML-RPC's to run the show. :)

"A thinking-person's web, circa 2000." I love it. Rohit, can we
get him to syndicate FoRK so I don't have to wade through all the
conversations? :)

> [...]
>
> Red Herring and Motley Fool cover the web from a financial viewpoint;
> Wired and Salon with a business and cultural view. All four are
> interesting and eclectic, are not widely syndicated, are identified with
> the Internet, and all four support the new XML standard for content
> syndication.
>
> Put together, this is the thinking-person's web, circa 2000 -- an
> interesting market, one that new technology makes even more interesting.
>

> How it works
>
> Every hour on the hour, our aggregator reads over 400 news-oriented
> sites that participate in the new XML-based web, and merges the new
> stories into a database called a "story flow". Each story has a tag that
> says which of the sites it came from.
>
> Every time you refresh the home page of this site, we look in the
> database to see if any new stories have arrived from the four sites. If
> so, we add them to the list, and show it to you.
>
> As a practical matter, new stories will only arrive at the top of the
> hour, usually about six or seven minutes after, depending on the time of
> day, the number of stories, and the general performance of the Internet,
> our ISP, and the ISPs of each of the publications.
>

> You get the original stories
>
> When you click on the links, you go to the official site, you see their
> ads, and if there have been updates to the story, or new links, or
> reader comments, you see them too. This is how we believe the web should
> work.
>

> It's an experiment
>
> At UserLand, the company behind this site, we like to try out new ideas!
> So consider this an experiment in web content delivery. We hope you
> enjoy this site and find it useful, and please let us know what you
> think.
>

> Technology
>
> We want you to understand the technology, if you want to.
>
> Start with the My.UserLand FAQ page.
>
> If you want more info, read up on the UserLand.Com backend in XML.
>
> And if you want to tie into our network of aggregators and affiliates,
> it's an open interface, specified in XML-RPC, an emerging standard for
> Internet-based distributed computing.
>

> Where do we go from here?
>
> At UserLand, we think this is an important direction, defining audiences
> thru combinations of content flows. There are many more combinations to
> explore There's enough content to do an automated open source news page,
> or a scripting home page, or whatever. More channels are coming online
> all the time.
>
> I've started a Discussion Group thread to gather comments and questions.
> If you have something to say about this, please let your opionions be
> known.
>
> There are lots of entrepreneurial opportunities in XML-based syndication
> and aggregation. Our interfaces are open. Let's work together!
>
> Dave Winer
>
> PS: The ads are for position only. We're not charging the advertisers

Here's the link to syndicated story flow in XML-RPC:
http://backend.userland.com/stories/storyReader$7

Here's the channel chooser (you need to be a member):
http://my.userland.com/choose

Here's the discussion group; apparently it's been up since October 27th:
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$12384

Dave Winer, I salute you.

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you. -- The Matrix