Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 11:11:38 PST

Well, isn't that the question of what they're doing NOW, since they've
promised a real Open Source release?

If they've promised an Open Source version, and then go BACK to a Community
license, then I'd fully agree with you.

on 1/28/00 8:52 AM, Robert S. Thau at rst@ai.mit.edu wrote:

> Ernest N. Prabhakar writes:
>> Actually, I've seen it as their way to retain existing customers (for whom
>> this is huge win relative to a fully closed source model) so that they don't
>> defect to Linux. So, in that sense, yeah, I see it as competitive to open
>> source. But that doesn't mean that they are deceptive or confusing - it
>> just means they are different.
>
> Oddly, I just got email from an MIT professor asking whether
> technology from Sun's new, open Solaris release was likely to show up
> in Linux or FreeBSD. If it's confusing to him, I'll stand by the
> assertion that it's confusing to other folks...
>
> rst

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ernest