Re: Versatility is the watchword of the WAP phone

From: Kragen Sitaker (
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 10:56:18 PST

Gregory Alan Bolcer writes:
> Lloyd Wood wrote:
> > The best comparison with WAP I can think of is with IRDA - fills a
> > niche, built into everything for a while until they discovered that
> > no-one actually uses it because it's just so inconvenient. Then 802.11
> > comes along and suddenly IRDA is history - you know the age of a
> > laptop from just hearing that it has IRDA built in.

The Dell Inspiron 7500 we got at my workplace last month has a little
rectangle of smooth, black, transparent plastic on the back which I
strongly suspect is an IR port.

> > BusinessWire: NEC Uses National Semiconductor Two-chip Solution in
> > World's First Bluetooth Enabled Notebook PCs With Built-in Antenna
> > Shown At CeBIT.
> >
> 2.4 Ghz, 128 bit encryption, talks through walls, $5.60/each. 8-)

Products like this becoming ubiquitous may cause some heart pains among
those responsible for preventing espionage.

<>       Kragen Sitaker     <>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)